Charleston Attorney Combats Unfair Trade Practices
South Carolina lawyer protects consumers
Unfair or deceptive trade practices harm consumers and rob competing businesses. If you’ve been victimized by a devious merchant, marketer or manufacturer, the law provides remedies. Haller Law Firm represents consumers and businesses who’ve been taken advantage of or infringed upon by unscrupulous individuals and business entities.
Fighting to protect consumers
One foundation of our free market is trust. Consumers must have confidence that what they purchase is what they were promised. I stand up for consumers with legal action to remedy a variety of fraudulent practices, such as:
- “Bait and switch” selling tactics
- Breaches of warranty
- Deceptive pricing practices
- False or deceptive advertising
- False claims of sponsorship, approval or affiliation
- Fraudulent offers of gifts or prizes
- Pyramid schemes
- Sale of substandard goods
Enforcing safeguards for honest businesses
The dishonest practices listed above not only harm consumers but also poison the market for ethical businesses that provide valuable goods and services at fair prices. I protect reputable businesses against deceitful acts that target consumers, as well as unfair practices aimed directly at competitors, including:
- Breaches of restrictive covenants
- Infringement of copyrights and patents
- Theft of trade secrets
- Threats, intimidation or bribery
- Tortuous interference
- Trade defamation/libel
- Trade name or trademark infringement
- Misappropriation of a name or likeness
- Undue influence
Legal remedies are available
Unfair trade practices are regulated by federal and state law. If the unfair trade practice can be proven, your remedies may include:
- Actual damages. Monetary losses you can prove.
- Statutory damages. Minimum amounts provided by law regardless of proof of actual damages.
- Treble damages. Many states allow courts to triple the damage award to further discourage unfair trade.
- Punitive damages. Additional monetary award meant to punish the defendant for his dishonesty.
- Attorney’s fees. Reimbursement is available in some states.
- Court injunction. To stop the unfair practice.
Contact a dedicated South Carolina law firm to protect your rights in the marketplace
To schedule a consultation with a consumer or business advocate at the Haller Law Firm, call 843-640-5593 or contact me online. My office is conveniently located in Charleston and serves clients throughout South Carolina.